Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Ornament Project

The gift I've created for my team members at work this year is a star ornament. These ornaments have been altered from a no-longer-used promotional magnet. We had boxes of these that were being purged, but I saw a possibility and grabbed a couple of handfuls. This post contains pictures of the process to create these lovely treasures that I hope the team enjoys and will be proud to hang on their Christmas trees.


Before: Simple blue star-shaped magnets. I glued four of them together to create some weight and thickness to the star.

Covered the stacked stars with foil tape. I have a roll of this (not sheets) so the process was a little random, with lots of seams, vs a smooth sheet.


Next, I ran the foiled-stars through my Big Kick and an embossing folder. Took me awhile to find the right "sandwich" based on the thickness of the star.


Then I "antiqued" the embossed pieces by painting over them with black acrylic paint and working quickly to wipe most of it off. (seems a little wasteful, but I do love the results!). Big thanks to my friend, Annette Kerr, for introducing me to this technique!



Added rock candy stickles to the dried, antiqued stars (which you can't see in the scan).


While things were drying, I stamped, then embossed the Imagine star (from I Brake for Stamp's Time To Stamp line) and cut them out. These were then glued to the ornaments and surrounded by Picket Fence stickles.
I had a bit of glossy black to fiddle with, (the back of the word Imagine) so decided to write 2011 in Inkssentials to commemorate the team's last Christmas together.



Finished with some silver sheer ribbon and we're good to go! This was a fun project!

2 comments:

Carolyn Albro said...

Wow!! These are REALLY good. Thank you for showing step by step how you did it.

Wanda H said...

These are beautiful!!!!